Various parts of the country will be hit by winter weather at unpredictable times, which just means if you haven’t been hit yet, you probably will. The good news? There’s still time to winterize your docks to make a safer and more comfortable environment for your workers and products. Frigid temps, freezing rain and blowing and drifting snow quickly drive up operating costs and create workplace hazards.
- TIP 1: Head Curtain Dock Seal
- A head curtain dock seal can accommodate a variety of trailer heights. A combination of foam side pads and a weighted head curtain seal the gaps that could let in freezing rain and snow, protecting employees and products during the cross-docking process.
- For added protection, install a rain shroud to keep snow and icy raid out of the loading dock area.
- Rain shrouds can be retrofitted to an existing unit.
- TIP 2: Air Curtains
- Air curtains provide superior environmental separation by keeping out cold winds in winter while ensuring the pedestrian and vehicle traffic have free access in and out of the building.
- The energy savings gained from installing air curtains typically covers the purchase price within one year.
- Improved indoor air quality is important for employees and product.
- TIP 3: Install HVLS Fans
- High Volume/Low Speed fans from MacroAir move massive amounts of air and during winter months can be run in reverse to force warm air trapped at the ceiling of your facility down toward workers, creating a much more comfortable environment.
- MacroAir AirVolution-D fans come in three high-performing and low-maintenance designs. Model 780 is an ideal solution for loading docks, warehouses and manufacturing facilities.
Work with Wiese USA’s Dock and Door experts to assess the hazards and energy loss situation at your facility. Our vast network of best-in-class suppliers and our expert team of installation and repair technicians provide year round support at your facility. Don’t let weather sideline your operation or your budget. Wiese will show you the right solutions with the right ROI.